Listed here is a technique which can help in test estimation, this technique can also be used for estimation of test case authoring, test execution, test automation.
This is at a intial stage and keep updating till it seems to suite all situation. This technique encomposes idealogy of work break down structure, planning poker from the Agile world. I have tried to made it simpler for usage but might require your inputs also to make it more reliable and also user friendly.
This technique involves dividing the project into different modules and estimate on the modules. Modules are then seen as different pages/screen etc.,. Steps involved in this technique
1) Derive Page Points
2) Test points are calculated automatically
3) Test case creation and execution time is automatically calculated
4) Calculate the potential of the team on how much test case creation points they can achieve in a day
5) Calculate the potential of the team on how much test case execution they can achieve in a day
6) Find out the actual time required to complete the derived points.
A sample template of this can be found here:http://www.box.net/shared/8065i1mnfz9cm38jq1ph.
Let me know your thoughts/suggestion after using this template, this is just the beginning of the Model based estimation technique.