Building a framework before automation is a first step in any organization. Building a good framework with good number of library functions will take long time and in some cases I have observed that it takes nearly months/years together to get in a good framework for the company.
But now, I see a change, there are few available frameworks both open and commercial which is available. Using these may be your ROI on automation can increase drastically. It would be wise thought to have a look and do an evaluation on these frameworks and then decide what needs to be built or extended on top of these frameworks. Here I would not recommend any framework but list down the framework which I have evaluated. All these frameworks have their own merits so selecting the framework which you and your organization wants purely depends on you but you can get a head start from here through the list.
Open source framework which I have tried to use.
1) Open2test – www.open2test.org/
2) Framework manager from advancedqtp – http://www.advancedqtp.com/knowledge-base/projects/
3) Framework from Carsten Büche – http://www.qtp-professional.de/
4) Framework from Ian Fraser – http://www.sqaforums.com/attachments/376786-QTPFrameworDemo_VIII.zip
5) Framework from Anshoo Arora- http://relevantcodes.com/relevantcodes1one-qtp-automation-framework/
6) Framework from Manish Bansal – http://mad4test.blogspot.com/
I have just listed them in the order of which I remembered. Apart from these there are around 4 -5 commercial framework which I have worked on. In case you have any other framework, please leave a comment on that framework below.